We've been sitting dogs for family, friends etc for many years; however, we started boarding through the website since September 2014 and named our service PlayPalce Home Boarding.
I work very close to our West University (Lower Kirby) gated community home so I am able to pop by during the day if required however my fiancée currently works from home and assists me with roughly 50% of the services depending on the day.
In my home I have personally owned and cared for mostly larger breeds, however my current dog is my first small dog. The first time I became a dog owner was 21 yrs ago. We are major animal people who have a passion for seeing happy doggies. I have volunteered in shelters and take any opportunity to play with dogs. I also have veterinary friends that I have personally assisted on a few occasions. We are caring and always attentive towards the pups and since we are also big time into Cesar Milan, we do our best to train all our guests on the 1st day of their stay to be calm submissive so they can feel relaxed whenever the aren't playing with us or each other. We allow playtime throughout the day and exercise them a quite a bit because a tired doggy is a happy doggy :-)
Our home has a perfectly sized enclosed yard and covered patio where we like spending time with the pets. However, we don't leave dogs unattended outside or unsupervised together. Blondie, our 4 year old pup absolutely adores everyone and anything that is alive and gives her attention. She gets along great with other dogs and loves playing. She can sometimes be a little timid at first but usually warms up fast once she has observed the newbie's energy. We love being outdoors and take the pets with us wherever we can. We have our 4 year old cockatiel baby boy. He is king of the house whenever we feel he is safe (otherwise he is caged); however we would prefer to be informed beforehand of any predator triggers, behavioral or temperament issues your pouche may have, so we can keep everyone safe as we often go to the doggy park as well. Don't expect your dog to be the only guest seeing as often, especially during the holidays we host 2-5 dogs. We often get a helping hand from siblings too when we have more than 2 dogs per person and go to the dog park. If you would like your pup to join us when we go out by car (dog park etc), please provide a harness and non-flexi leash as I like them wearing seat belts (I don't trust other drivers!). We will never leash your dog in the car to it's collar however in the harness they are tethered for safety and out of trouble while we are in the car. 2 x daily 15-30 min walks and 1 longer walk 45mins- 1 hr, plus often a few shorter potty walks as well. Whenever we have the chance, we go to the Memorial Park, Houston Arboretum for long walks or to Lake Conroe for some fun by the lake and will bathe our guests if play time gets messy :-)
There are no children who live in our home however we do encounter them by our house when they play on the street. All the kids love doggies too but if any of your pups is not kid friendly, please let me know. We also have a large indoor playpen for the ones that are a little more naughty or if they want some quiet time.
Please understand that just because your dog is friendly and gets excited when seeing or meeting other dogs, it does not mean they are completely socialized. Some dogs can trigger others by not respecting personal space (both with dogs and humans) therefore we have to correct that behavior so they know how to act the next time that scenario occurs. We also want to be consistent with the boundaries and structure you as the owner have provided in order to keep your dog balanced in this new environment. Most of all, please be honest about your dog's habits so that we can be prepared to best care for your pouche. Please understand that the less time we spend correcting them, the more time we spend giving them love and fun. Our goal is to make sure all the doggies have a blast; however, beyond that our priority is their safety and that they are a good fit for our pack. Therefore if it is not a last minute request then I always require a meet-and-greet. Please note we don't often accept last minute requests but we are happy to assist if available and depending on pack comparability.
We have no breed preferences but we do not host any aggressive dogs, and they must be fixed, socialized and shots up to date. The more disciplined and balanced your dog is, the more fun it will have. We do our best to enforce the same rules on our guests as we would expect from our own dogs whilst disciplining them s you would. If your dog is not well-balanced (and you know your dog and it's behaviors better than anyone else, both good and naughty), then it will spend the first few days of it's stay learning the basic house rules.
We can demonstrate to you in person what training techniques we use on our own dog and find out which ones you would like us to use with your dog. Most dogs pick up pretty fast and are able to fit in well with our pack, others require a little more training. That being said, we also give them plenty of one-on-one tlc throughout the day when they are calm submissive. No dog is perfect, they all need a little extra tlc in different areas and it's all connected somehow. We truly believe that the the key to having a well balanced dog is a combination of exercise/ (mental) discipline/ affection + calm assertive human= calm submissive dog. Then we can provide them with more play and less training once they have adapted to our pack.
Dogs that are not from the same family are not left unsupervised together. We have plenty of room in our home to separate the doggies if we need to leave home. When we have multiple guests (which we would inform you about) we may prefer to crate them if they are crate trained although this may not be necessary. However we will crate your dog (or leave in the playpen) if it's not completely potty trained or If your dog is not usually crated when left unsupervised then we will leave it loose in the living room or other rooms so long as it doesn't have destructive habits. For daycare we can guarantee full-time supervision.
• +$10/ night for boarding during the holidays or holiday weekends. For daycare +$5/ day.
• We are mostly flexible with drop/off/ pick up times however the boarding fee covers a 24hr window so if pick-up is much later than drop off then there is an charge for a boarding extension fee which is 50% of the daily rate.
• We do not board puppies under the he of 1 and charge +$10/ night for pups under the age of 2 because of the extra training required although this fee may be waved depending on how disciplined and balanced your dog. Pups under the age of 2 may still have excitement tinkles, therefore this fee would also cover the additional work from that. This fee waving would be determined after the meet-and-greet.
• If your pup is a older than 2 and is still a strong leash puller or has behavioral issues that require significant attention then there is an additional charge of $5/ night. This is because as strong leash puller is more physically demanding and and thows of the balance of the rest of the pack. When a dog is unable to walk with the pack it often results in requiring us do extra walks which takes playtime and tlc away from all the dogs. We want to enjoy the walk as much as your dog therefore please also be mindful of the type of collar and leash you use on your pups since it can play a huge role on how your dog walks and whether you can make it heel for you. Please make sure you always provide sitters with the correct tools for your your specific dog (and behavior) which means an appropriate collar or harness. I am happy to provide suggestions and give you some options. Additional examples of behavioral issues would be dogs that are chronic whiners or barkers and if your adult dog has a history of indoor marking, please be honest and understand we may need to crate if for up to 4-6 hrs max (usually less). It's not right for any sitter to have to clean up after a grown dog and if you are honest with us about potential issues you are aware of then we can be pro-active in preventing accidents.
• +$5/ night for senior dogs with incontinence that is not well managed with medication.
Please note that if your dog becomes a regular guest, some of those additional fees my be waved as your dog adapts to our home and you stay consistent with the training.
As you see we put a lot of our time into the well being and mental balance of our guests to make the experience as enjoyable as possible for everyone involved so I hope you feel this could be a good fit for your babies. We can't wait to have your pouches over so we can love on them one-on-one and keep our princess entertained.
Read More about Filipa...