Hello! My name is Alexis. I grew up owning dogs and having a huge part in caring for them. I had a black lab/German Shepherd mix from the time I was a small child until I was about ten years old, when he passed from natural causes. I helped to walk and feed him as part of my responsibilities!
Since then, our family dogs have been a greyhound and a beagle. I helped to train the beagle from a young age, and he was certainly a handful! He probably gave me my most experience with dogs! My greyhound is sweet and quiet, but also needed some extra love and attention since he was a rescue from a racetrack.
My babes live with my parents in NJ now, and starting about five years ago, I've been a professional dog-sitter in NYC. I have babysat a huge variety of dogs in both a dogsitting (overnight) and dog walking capacity! My main clients/experience were/are:
1. A pair of big rescue/mixes. Two very lovable cuties, but very aggressive towards other dogs and leash pullers, so this was something I learned to handle! I worked with these guys very regularly for a period of three years, though a bit less since moving to NJ.
2. A yorkie with VERY serious separation anxiety, which was pretty easy to deal with-- just gave him lots of love :)
3. A beagle mix and a schnauzer-- the beagle mix is a puppy and very rambunctious and needed pretty constant supervision, but it was still fun!
4. An older dachshund who is a pile of love, who I had to administer medication to regularly. I work with this client semi-regularly.
5. A dog rescued off the streets in Africa, who had very serious issues adjusting to NYC life. He was my biggest challenge, but so worth it for what I learned in dog training and care! He is/was extremely aggressive towards other people, and also was pretty aggressive towards me (in a playful manner, but still excessively). I worked on some training techniques with him and he made some good improvements in my time with him. I work with this client semi-regularly.
ME NOW: I've moved to New Jersey from NYC to a beautiful house and I am loving it! Most importantly, I got my very own rescue pup last year, and couldn't be happier. Zeus is a chihuahua/terrier mix who is a HANDFUL but loving, curious, and one of the biggest sources of joy in my life. He LOVES other dogs, so he will be super excited to play with your pup (of ALL sizes! He doesn't seem to realize how small he is.)
Dogs have a pretty free reign here in my house, so you can bet he or she will be spoiled. I walk them 3x a day minimum, plus my house has a really nice big completely fenced-in yard, so that's helpful. I'm a PhD student so I often have the full stretch of the day where I'm working from home or only have short appointments here and there, which makes my lifestyle great for dogsitting.
Read More about Alexis...