How hard is it to tell those big brown eyes and that 100-watt smile ‘no’? A few table scraps here and there can’t hurt, right? Wrong. Aside from the excess weight it can bring to your beloved pup, some human food can actually make you pooch really sick and can even cause death. Take a look at these foods you should avoid feeding to your dog.
Avocado. Yes, it is one of the healthiest fruits humans can eat, but you shouldn’t give it to your dog. Avocados contain a substance called persin, which is harmless for humans, but toxic to pooches if they’re given large amounts. Leaves, seeds and bark also contain persin.
Alcohol. Beer, liquor, wine and foods containing alcohol is not good for your dog. Alcohol has the same effect on a dogs liver and brain that it has on humans. Even a tiny bit can cause vomiting, diarrhea, central nervous system depression, difficult breathing, coma and even death. Skip the alcohol, skip the doggy hangover.
Onions and Garlic. In any form, these spices can destroy a dog’s red blood cells, leading to anemia.
Coffee, Tea, and Other Caffeine. Symptoms of caffeine poisoning include restlessness, rapid breathing, heart palpitation, muscle tremor, fits and bleeding.
Grapes and Raisins. These two snacks have often been used as treats for pooches, but it isn’t a good idea as they can cause kidney failure in dogs.
Milk and Dairy Products. Milk and milk-based products can cause diarrhea and other digestive upsets as well as set up food allergies.
Macadamia Nuts. Symptoms of poisoning include muscle tremors, weakness or paralysis of the hindquarters, vomiting, elevated body temperature and rapid heart rate. Eating chocolate with the nuts will make symptoms worse, possibly leading to death.
Candy and Gum. Candy, gum, toothpaste, baked goods and some diet foods are sweetened with xylitol. Xylitol can increase the insulin circulating through your pooches body, causing their blood sugar to drop and may also cause liver failure. Initial symptoms include vomiting, lethargy and loss of coordination.
Fat Trimmings and Bones. Table scraps often contain leftover meat fat and bones. Fat trimmed from meat both cooked and uncooked can cause pancreatitis in dogs. Bones can splinter and cause an obstruction or lacerations of your dogs digestive system.
Persimmons, Peaches and Plums. The problem with these fruits is the seeds or pits. The seeds from persimmons can cause inflammation of the small intestine in dogs. Obstruction is also a possibility if a dog eats the pit from a peach or plum. Also, peach and plum pits contain cyanide, which is poisonous to both humans and dogs. The difference is: humans know not to eat them. Dogs don’t.
Raw Meat and Fish. Raw meat and raw fish, like raw eggs, can contain bacteria that causes food poisoning. In addition, certain kinds of fish such as salmon, trout, shad, or sturgeon can contain a parasite that causes “fish disease” or “salmon poisoning disease.” If not treated, the disease can be fatal in as little as two weeks. The first signs of illness are vomiting, fever, and big lymph nodes. Thoroughly cooking the fish will kill the parasite and protect your dog.
Salt. Eating too much salt can cause excessive thirst and urination and lead to sodium ion poisoning. Symptoms of too much salt can include vomiting, diarrhea, depression, tremor, elevated body temperature and seizures. It may even cause death.
Dog owners know how difficult it is to deprive their pooch from table scraps at the dinner table, but this should be resisted if you want a long-living, healthy dog.
All medical information was referenced from WebMD.com