My Name is Barbara, owner of BarLee English Springer Spaniels and Photography.
I'm 36 years old and have been in the dog world/business for over 29 years. I was on the board of directors at the Great Lakes English Springer Spaniel Breeders Association for 25 years and a dog trainer at West Side Dog training Club of Chicago for 10 years.
I first starting showing dogs at age 11. I went on to handling show dogs, boarding, private kennel sitting - for show kennels (10 to 40 dogs), grooming, mentor programs, Vet tech assistant, Dog training, dog massage, breeding, fostering rescued dogs for English Springer Rescue America, and running my own business for 25 years (BarLee Springers). I had left the showing/breeding world and for the past 5 years to work in doggie daycares. I've handled nearly every breed of dog known.
I am currently not working. I am raising our daughter (born in 2013) in the early years is important to us. She has been working with animals right at my side. Dogs are my passion not just a job. I co-own my 2 retired Springers and they live with their other owner, my sister. I still groom and work with them weekly.
After working in the dog daycare business for 5 years I have seen many owners and dogs. Not all dogs work well in these situations but most owners don't have much of a choice. I would fully recommend to anyone that if your dog can stay home, then choose that. It's not only healthier, it is more calming for the dogs.
SERVICES & RATES:
Available at this time - more to come later.
Each dog and owner have their own special instructions. Please discuss all things with me before setting an appointment so I may better fit your needs.
In home Check Up/Visit Rate :
- This service is an one hour visit in your home. To check in on your pet.
- This includes an outside break (or two), feeding, playing or interactive care, medical care, or any other agreed upon service we have discussed prior to visit.
* For special needs dogs (elderly 10 years or older) I will offer an 1 1/2 hour service. Just in case we need a little more time for care.
Note: If you need extra visits within one day, please discuss this prior to paying for service.
- All walks are just that, no sitting or standing. When we walk, its for cardio. No dog park playing or greeting of other dogs.
- All dogs are walked on a 6 foot leather leash (no off leash).
- I pick up after all bowel movements and trash them.
- One dog per a walk (for quality handling)
- Elderly dogs (10 and up) please contact first.
- Any unmanageable aggression or behavior while on the walk will end the walk and owner will be contacted (non-refundable).
- All dogs must wear tags and proper gear (collar, harness, or face harness also known as gentle leader) while outside of the owners home.
NOTE: At this time I am unable to provide Jogging or dog running services. Once my baby is born I will again offer this as an option. Weather permitting.
Training Rate: $30/hour
I do specialize in puppy training (up to 1 year). Also available is - new dog owner, education classes. Classes available are - Obedience, Healthcare (nutrition too), and Basic grooming.
- All training is done with owner in control and learning. This means, I do not train your dog for you, I teach YOU to handle/care for your dog.
- Training classes (obedience) will be held at multiple locations, including a few home visits.
- Positive reinforcement training only
- One dog per a training class.
- Each owner will receive homework to work with their dog.
- Basic health care and grooming (cleaning ears, brushing teeth, bathing, clipping nails, clipping fur, brushing coat, checking over all health of dog, and food nutrition).
- I also can teach you how to house train your dog (all ages).
- Each class will have some education about dog behavior.
Dog Sitting Nightly Rate (Over night stays - at owner's home):
Why is the cost, so much?
The fact is - you are a getting a professional coming into your home to watch your pet(s). I took care of private dog showing kennels with up to 40 dogs, by myself. I had even ended up delivering a few litters of puppies during my stays. When it comes to kennel owners - they don't just trust anyone. Debrec Kennel of Wisconsin. Blue Ribbon dog and cat grooming and Gentry Kennels, of Illinois are a few that I have worked for over my many years. I have also took care of other out of state kennels.
Not only am I staying the night to care for your pet(s), but you can have an number of animals available for me to care for (birds, reptiles, small mammals, fish and so on). I have owned and cared for many different types of animals. Also, I'm not afraid to handle and care for them. With this special offered service you will have me come into your home for a walk through (to show me around/meet and greet), and to give me any instructions that you might have.
Upon ending my nightly stay - you will receive a report card of how things went either a hand note or email(preferred).
- Hours of stay will be agreed upon during meet and greet (max hours during a nightly stay, 7 hours)
- My dogs don't join me during a nightly stay.
- Trust is 100% my thing.
- Back to back nightly stays are available.
- This service is only offered to people who are preapproved.
- Extra services are available and only agreed upon before service(s) are rendered.
- Clients will have to supply a bed for me to sleep in (no floors, cots, or other non mattress beds).
Read More about Barbara...